Monday, August 27, 2012

Paxin Stern Introduction


 My name is Paxin Stern. I’m from a small town in Michigan called Leslie, about 30 minutes south of Lansing. I’m currently a junior here at BGSU, but I will be a senior after I finish the semester. I’m majoring in sport management with a minor in marketing. When I graduate from here, I’m not sure what aspect of sports I want to go into. I don’t have that set dream job in mind. But, I want to end up in major league baseball. My ideal job would be working within the New York Yankees organization. Although I’m from Michigan, I don’t root for my “home teams” when it comes to sports. I am a fan of the Lions, but that’s as far as it goes. I’m a diehard New York Yankees fan, as well as Chicago Bulls. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit old Yankee Stadium, as well as the new one. It’s an incredible atmosphere there. I was named after a former Chicago Bulls player, John Paxson, so I naturally, am a Bulls fan because of that, and can’t forget about Michael Jordan.

The female athlete that I would pay to see play would be Hope Solo, who in the goalkeeper for the US woman’s soccer team. I never was a fan of soccer growing up, I never played it, I never really watched it until recently. I became a fan of Hope though, because of her story. As she grew up with an alcoholic mother, a father who was never around, being benched in the 2007 world cup, and dealing with her father’s death as well in 2007, Hope has an incredible story. After I heard about her story, I automatically took a liking to her. Anyone that can go through so much adversity, but still push through and come out on top deserves to be credited. The energy that Hope brings to the field is incredible. She is so passionate about the game of soccer, and it shows. She drew me in with what she does, and I wasn’t even a soccer fan to begin with. 

 The male athlete that I would pay to see play would be without a doubt Michael Jordan. Being too young to be able to watch him play in the 90’s, I would give anything to be able to see him play today. He’s an incredible player on the court. What he brought to the game of basketball, nobody will ever be able to do. His talent far outweighs the talent of any other athlete that will, in my mind, ever play the game. He changed the game of basketball forever. In addition to seeing Michael Jordan play, I would want to see John Paxson. Ultimately, I would pay a large sum of money to see the whole 1991-1992 Chicago Bulls team play.


I currently don’t have any concerns for this class. I believe this class is going to be fun and interesting at the same time. I’m looking forward to learning more about the concepts, and being able to apply them as I dive deeper into the sports field.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paxin,

    I'm glad you explained the source of your first name. How did you happen to become both a Yankees fan and a Chicago Bulls fan? Did you live in either of those places? I guess with sport becoming more globalized it is easier to see a variety of teams like the Yankees and the Bulls play. Isn't John Paxson still working with the Bulls in some capacity? I can certainly understand the two athletes that you would pay to see. I did not know Hope Solo's story so I am glad you shared it. I seem to recall that she has a book and I would like to read it. I followed her on Dancing with the Stars and was really pulling for her. Of course, I can understand your wanting to see Michael Jordan. For a long time, I couldn't appreciate him because he drove a dagger through the heart of Cavaliers' fans when he hit that last shot over Craig Ehlo. But now it is hard not to appreciate his global influence.

    I look forward to reading more of your entries.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete