Saturday, August 25, 2012

Geoff Roberts - Introduction

My name is Geoff Roberts.  I am a junior here at BGSU, but will be a senior at the end of this semester.  I am from a few different places actually.  My hometown is a small town called Croswell in the thumb of Michigan.  The only time you may have heard of this was when the Little League Softball World Series was going last year because the team from my hometown won it all.  I usually just tell people I am from Port Huron, MI.  I also lived in Fort Bragg/Fayetteville, North Carolina while I was in the Army.  Except for the 15 total months I spent in Iraq, I was stationed at Fort Bragg the entire time.  I served as a Scout and Parachutist for the 82nd Airborne Division.
I am a hometown guy in my sport team affiliations.  I love the Detroit Tigers, Lions, Pistons and Red Wings.  I root for the University of Michigan in everything except for hockey because of my attendance here at Bowling Green.  This is the last year that they will play together in the CCHA so, I may end up liking Michigan again while still rooting for the Falcons.  I am also a Carolina Hurricanes fan from my time being stationed there.  I could only watch Red Wings games that were on national television so most nights, all that would be on was the Hurricanes.

I played baseball during high school.  I was an outfielder and saw some time at 3rd base.  I played pond hockey every winter growing up but didn't participate in any formal hockey until I moved here and found the BGSU Ice Arena Senior League.  I am learning better hockey the more I play and it's a blast.  I wish I had the chance to play growing up but it is an expensive sport.

As I said in the first class, the female athlete I would pay to see is Abby Wombach.  I hadn't seen her much before the Olympics and I was just really impressed with how hard she competes.

Also, I would pay to see Pavel Datsyuk.  He is also an amazing competitor.  Every time he steps on the ice, there is a chance that you will see him do something amazing with the puck.  I have attached a video with some of his best magic.  It is called "Russian Magic" and is set to some Russian music.  It is awesome to watch if you're a Red Wings fan.  http://youtu.be/V_RmXpF47Ms

2 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff,

    It sounds like you have had some unique experiences, including being stationed in Iraq for 15 months. My Dad was in the Navy and flew anti-submarine planes at the end of WWII, but he is the only one in my family who served in the military. Thank you for your service to our country!

    That's cool that a team from your hometown won the Little League World Series in Softball. What ages were members of the team that won it all? I can definitely understand your wanting to see Abby Wambach play soccer. I loved watching her head the ball in one of the games during the 2011 Women's World Cup. Unfortunately when I tried to watch the video clip of Pavel Datsyuk, it said there was an error. I don't know if that is because of my computer or something else.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing your Introduction. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father is more of a man than I. You certainly would not find me flying over open water looking for submarines, especially in the planes they used back then. That is really impressive. I have a lot of respect for veterans of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam because often times, they didn't have a choice but to fight. Today, with the all-volunteer status of the military, you have the choice to serve or not and most of the time you can choose what your job in the military is.

    I am not certain but I believe that the ages of the girls were 10 to 12 years old. They have been playing together since they turned 10 and in 2009 (their first year together) they placed 3rd in the World Series. I don't believe they qualified in 2010 but they finally won it all in 2011. It should be exciting for the town when they hit high school and have a chance at the Michigan State Championship each year.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_RmXpF47Ms is an alternate link to the Pavel Datsyuk video. That one may give you better luck.

    ReplyDelete