Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Marc Rodriguez

My name is Marc Rodriguez and I am from the Chicagoland area. I play hockey here at BGSU and that is why I chose to come here. I learned to ice skate when I was just two years old and have been playing hockey ever since. However, I am a huge fan of most other sports and enjoy watching and following some more than hockey. I am a Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks and Bulls fan and I attend games whenever I get the chance.

The female athlete I would most want to see play is Alex Morgan, or just the US Women's soccer team in general. As someone who does not follow women's sports, I gained a tremendous amount of respect for this team while watching the Olympics this year. I actually came to believe that the female soccer players were much tougher than the males. Although they may not have as much skill as the males, it's a more exciting brand of soccer to watch in the Olympics in my opinion.



The male athlete I would most want to see play is LeBron James. His raw athleticism and power is something I think is unmatched in the history of sport. Being a Bulls fan, I am not a fan the Heat or of some of LeBron's personality traits, but he is just that good. I don't believe he'll ever surpass Jordan or even Kobe as far as greatness but when it comes to sheer athleticism, he is the most gifted of all time.

I look forward to another class with Dr. Spencer and learning about how gender has impacted and continues to impact sport.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting how the perception of LeBron has changed this year. Winning the championship and a gold medal has helped to restore his reputation a little, but the biggest thing in my mind is how he has matured this year. In the last game of the Finals, Mario Chalmers started celebrating in the third quarter and LeBron told him to cut it out. Things like that make me respect LeBron a little more now (all this coming from a Bulls fan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc,

    I am amazed that you learned to skate at the age of 2. Did you come from a hockey family? I enjoyed following the BGSU hockey team last season, especially with the exciting run in the tournament (I even bought a hockey shirt). I am hoping to see some of the games this season! And I look forward to our discussions in this class about the gendered aspects of hockey. I can definitely appreciate your choosing the U.S. Women's soccer team. I watched the Women's World Cup final against Japan, and the games in this year's Olympics, and all of those games were exciting! As for Lebron, I can agree about his athleticism. When he first started to play for the Cavs, I thought he was so mature but I was really disappointed when he "took his talents to South Beach." I actually have to agree with what Adam said (above) about Lebron maturing in the past year.

    Good start on your first entry.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that LeBron matured over the course of this year but also think it may be more of him just figuring out the right things to say. He is surrounded by professionals coaching him on how to handle the media in order to maximize his marketability. Winning has without a doubt worked wonders for his overall image, however. Also, I wouldn't consider my family a hockey family but both of my older brothers did play, which is how I got into it.

    ReplyDelete