Sunday, August 26, 2012

Aaron Crouse - Introduction


My name is Aaron Crouse and I am a junior from Livonia, MI.  I am a sport management major with a minor in general business.  I plan on pursuing a master’s degree in athletic administration with the hopes of one day becoming a high school athletic director.  In high school I played hockey for four years along with baseball for two years.  I am currently planning on playing in a men’s hockey league in Findlay and am considering trying out for the club team at BG.  I also help coach the high school hockey team at Livonia Stevenson along with working several youth camps and acting as a private goalie instructor for several teams and young athletes around my hometown area.  While I have given up playing baseball, I still serve as an umpire for youth and high school leagues during the summer.
The female athlete that I would be most interested in seeing compete in her sport is Alex Morgan.  I personally believe that she has become the face of women’s soccer in the United States.  For a sport that generally does not receive much recognition, her performance in the Olympics has seemingly put women’s soccer on the map.  There can be a great argument made that women’s soccer is actually more popular than the men’s game in the U.S., which is quite remarkable given the shortcomings of other women’s leagues such as the WNBA.  The NBC Sports Network reported that the USA vs. Japan women’s soccer gold medal game was the most watch event in the channel’s history (4.35 million viewers), which is an accomplishment considering the network also shows the NHL Stanley Cup Finals, along with NCAA Football and NCAA Basketball for the Mountain West Conference (NBC, 13 August 2012).  While it may be easy for many fans to focus more on her looks than performance, there is no doubt that Alex Morgan has become a great ambassador for women’s soccer.
The male athlete that I would most want to see compete would be Peyton Manning.  The way he prepares and studies the game of football is remarkable.  I think any fan would be hard pressed to find an athlete that puts as much intensity and dedication as Manning does into achieving perfection on the practice field and in the film room.  Watching him run an offense or navigate his way through a two-minute drill is like looking at an NFL art form. On top of all this, Peyton Manning remains one of the greatest off the field figures in the NFL.  During a time where it seems as if every day someone is being arrested, suspended, or demanding a new contract it is reassuring to see guys like Manning standing for what is right in football.  I personally love his commercials, work on SNL, and interviews.  For an NFL superstar and no doubt first ballot hall of famer, Peyton Manning is very down to Earth and respectful of his fans.  I wish him the best of luck this year in Denver and hope to see him in a live game before he calls it quits.
Overall, I feel the workload and topics that are going to be discussed are very fair.  I would like to focus on gender relations and equality in intercollegiate and interscholastic athletics since those are topics I will come across as an athletic director.  I really like the idea of having a class weekly blog in order to discuss articles and topics related to the class so I was disappointed in seeing that the majority of the class plans on submitting journals instead.  After reviewing the class schedule of topics and sitting in on a few lectures, I am definitely ready to see even more of what sport and gender has in store this semester.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Aaron,

    This is a nicely written introduction about the athletes that you would be interested in seeing. I totally agree with your observation that Alex Morgan has become the new face of U.S. women's soccer. I think she really came into her own during the Olympics. Before that, I would have said that Abby Wambach and Hope Solo provided the leadership. But it was clear that Alex provided the needed spark (and the winning goal), especially in that game against Canada! I would also have to agree with what you said about Women's soccer being more popular than Men's soccer in the U.S. I doubt if that can be said in any other country. We will definitely be talking more about that in class.

    As for Peyton Manning, I can understand why you would want to see him. If you haven't heard Dr. Schneider talk about meeting him in Florida, you should ask him about that story. It is pretty awesome. Overall, this is an excellent entry and I look forward to reading your future blog entries.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,

    I think Peyton Manning has a great story especially because his brother, Eli, plays in the NFL as well. He is a great quarterback and leader off the field like you had said. I like how you pointed out how many great players demand to be paid more or get arrested and suspended. This is rare because many players do get in trouble and I do not understand why they would do this. These players worked really hard and trained their entire life to make it to the NFL; therefore, why would they jeopardize all of their hardcore due to temptation of illegal temptations? It doesn't make sense and I'm glad there are still players like Peyton Manning who can act as a role model for young players.

    -Casey Daulbaugh

    ReplyDelete