Saturday, August 25, 2012

Joey Durant - Introduction


Hello fellow bloggers!
So as you know, we are required to post an introduction about ourselves! My name is Joseph Earl Durant, but I normally go by Joey. I am a junior at Bowling Green State University, but got started at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, OH. I am in the Sport Management program at BGSU with a specialization in marketing. I got involved in sports at young age by playing soccer in second grade, and continued to play soccer and other sports throughout high school. The class that I am posting for, Sport and Gender, is based around the idea of defining sport, race, and gender in sport. I would define sport as an athletic competition with a clear cut set of rules, and a winner and loser based on common scoring rules. I believe gender is as simple as male and female, but I do understand other people have different beliefs on the same topic. I would personally love to witness Jim Brown and Hope Solo, one iconic man and woman athlete from different generations, play in their respective sports. They both have dominated their sport individually, and have unique skill sets that I believe would be amazing to see in person. This class seems like it will be challenging, but I expect to learn a lot about gender and race in sports and be able to apply them to my future goals.

I also included two links, one for each of my athletes, to help everyone visualize why I would love to see them.

Hope Solo
http://youtu.be/O2X_XRSK7Nk

Jim Brown
http://youtu.be/_Xj4d23_MaY

Joey Durant

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joey,

    I want to commend you for being the first to post your blog entry on the class blog. I am glad to see that many more students have now posted as well. As for the two athletes you mentioned, I can understand why you chose them. I remember my grandfather watching Jim Brown and talking about how great he was. I wish I would have had the opportunity to see him play in person. The clip you shared of Hope Solo really highlighted some of her great plays. I was impressed by her play at the Olympics too.

    Again, thanks for doing the first blog entry. I look forward to reading more of your entries!

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete