Monday, August 27, 2012

Alicia Jefferson-Introduction

My name is Alicia Jefferson. I am from Ypsilanti, Michigan, which is about 15 minutes from Ann Arbor or 25 minutes from Detroit. I am a senior here at BGSU and I run track for the Women's Track and Field Team. I am a Sport Management major here with a specialization in Psychology. When I graduate from college I plan to go to Grad school to pursue Sport Psychology. Also, I have a twin sister who attends BGSU and who also runs track! I started playing sports at a young age like the most you all. I played soccer and did gymnastics when I was in elementary school. I started running track when I was in 6th grade and started running cross country when I was in 7th and 8th grade. After 8th grade I finally decided that I hated running long distance and switched over to running sprints and as you can see I made the right decision. I also, started running AAU Track and Field when I was a sophomore in High School. On campus I am a part of the Sport Management Alliance, Student Athlete Affairs Committee and I am also an Assistant Track and Field Coach for one of the local elementary schools in BG called St. Aloysius, which I enjoy doing very much. The only other sport that I watch other than Track is the NBA. My favorite basketball team is of course the Detroit Pistons and my favorite basketball player is Richard Hamilton, even though he does not play for them anymore. L

The female athlete that I would pay to see is Sanya Richards Ross. She is the London 2012 400m Olympic Gold Medalist and was a part of the winning USA Women’s 4by400m Gold Medalist Relay Team in London. I would pay to go see her, because she is just amazing to watch on TV and just to see her in person would be even more exciting! We both run the same events, so she is definitely an inspiration to me to be like her. The way she runs is just so amazing! Her stride is, so phenomenal that it’s breath taking!

The male athlete that I would pay to see is Terrance Trammell. He was the Silver Medalist at the 2000 Sydney and 2004 Athens Summer Olympics in the 110 hurdles. He has won 3 Silver Medals at the World Track and Field Championships. He, also qualified for the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, but had to pull out, because of an injury. Even, though he has not made any big appearances lately, he is still one of the best hurdlers for the USA team and plus he is very attractive to watch as well. (: 

The class seems interesting and I hope to learn a lot in this class and apply them to my future goals!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia,

    Thanks for sharing the information in your Introduction. It's really interesting to read about the athletes in your sport who have inspired you. I have to admit that I was not familiar with Terrance Trammel when you mentioned him. In fact, since you are from Detroit, I thought maybe he was related to Alan Trammel who played for the Tigers. I did watch the Women's Track & Field events and loved seeing all the U.S. athletes who won their events. One thing that amazed me about Sanya Richards Ross (and other female track stars) is how fit they looked. That is obviously a tribute to their hard work. On my trip back from the Olympics, I sat across from an athlete who is now an Assistant Track Coach at the University of Missouri. He was coaching an athlete at the Olympics but had competed in three Olympics himself. I asked which one he liked the most and he said he really liked the Sydney Olympics. I thought you might be interested to know that:-)

    Anyway, I look forward to your contributions in class as well as reading more of your blog entries.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alicia,

    This is your classmate Khiry Kelly and I really love your first blog of the semester. I loved that you talked a lot about yourself from growing up and everything. I'm now very interested in going to watch you and your sister run track this year for school. I really wish the best for you guys and now have became a big fan. I'm also very interested in now watching some videos online about Sanya Richards Ross. The only thing I did not like about your blog is that your a Pistons fan. I have always been a Lakers fan and will never forget when you guys beat us in the NBA finals in 2004!

    I look forward to commenting on a lot more of your blogs as the semester goes on.

    Khiry Kelly

    ReplyDelete