Monday, August 27, 2012

Marc Horwitz Introduction


My name is Marc Horwitz and I am a junior from Delran, New Jersey. I am a sport management major with a minor in marketing.  Upon graduation, I hope to obtain a position working in the front office for a professional hockey team.  My ideal job would be a position within team operations, preferably with a concentration on team marketing.  In high school I was a four year member of both the varsity ice hockey and varsity track teams.  Although I had played hockey at a fairly high level throughout high school, I chose to come to BG to focus on academics rather than persue continuing to play collegiate hockey at smaller schools closer to home.  I still compete recreationally through participation in area men’s leagues.  I do, however, still run track as a member of the BGSU Club Track team, which actually represents Bowling Green in Division I, II, and III NCAA meets since we no longer have a men’s varsity team here at BG.

Although I have had the opportunity to see her play many times, the female athlete who I would most like to see compete in her sport is Carli Lloyd.  As a member of the U.S women’s olympic soccer team, Lloyd has developed into an integral member of the team.  Luckily, I have had many opportunities to see her play, seeing as she is a graduate of my high school and often reaches out to offer tickets to matches when the team is in the area.  Although I have had the opportunity to see her play already, I would most definitely be willing to pay to see her compete again as I find her aggressiveness and skill on the field very impressive. It is hard to believe that someone from my high school could develop into a starting player on an olympic team and score not just the game winning goal to clinch the gold medal in Beijing, but also record both goals in the gold medal game just a few weeks ago in London.



The male athlete who I would most like to see compete is Usain Bolt, a much more mainstream choice, especially around the time of the olympics.  My reasons for wishing to see Bolt compete are rather self explanatory, the man is simply extraordinary in what he does.  While I am sure to keep up with his races both during the olympics and each year at the World Championship meets, I feel as though it is very hard to completely grasp just how fast he is when watching it on television.  After his gold medal race in London, a video was put together by the New York Times which compared Bolt’s race to that of past olympians, and to see the gap between Bolt’s finishing time and those throughout history really puts his incredible speed into perspective.


I am looking forward to taking this course.  After getting a brief taste of gender in relation to sport through the sport history course, I look forward to learning more of how gender influences sport in countless ways.  A subject which I am most looking forward to learning more about throughout this course are the formation of the various laws that have led to the equality we see sport moving towards today. I am also very interested in learning about sport in relation to media coverage, as I feel as though that is becoming an increasingly debated topic, especially around the time of the olympics and during NCAA tournaments.

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is pretty cool that an Olympic gold medalist (especially one who has scored game-winning goals in back to back Olympic Games) came out of your school. Ryan Kesler, a forward for the Vancouver Canucks and a member of the USA men's 2010 silver medal champion hockey team, was a graduate of my school and even that generated a ton of excitement. I can only imagine the response Carli Lloyd generated around Delran following the Beijing and London games. If she ever reaches out to the community and offers tickets again in the future for a U.S National team game, maybe you can hook me up and help me see my female athlete of choice (Alex Morgan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc,

    I agree with Aaron that it is pretty cool that Carli Lloyd went to your school. That is great that she offers tickets for people from your school to go to their games. I thought the women's soccer final in the Olympics was a great game, and she obviously made the difference. That is a really interesting link to the story about Usain Bolt as he compared historically to previous athletes who ran the same race. I was amazed to see how far behind Carl Lewis was. I am glad that you appreciated what you learned in Sport History and hope that you learn valuable material about many of the topics we discuss in class.

    I look forward to reading more of your entries.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete