Sunday, August 26, 2012

Chelsea VanAssche-Introduction

My name is Chelsea VanAssche and I am a junior from Macomb, Michigan. If you are unfamiliar where Macomb is, it is about thirty minutes north of Detroit. I am a sport management major with a minor in journalism. I am aspiring to work in community relations for Major League Baseball. My dream job would be working in community relations for the Detroit Tigers since I have grown up watching the team and I am passionate about the organization’s success. I have played various sports while growing up but I played softball and golf at Dakota High School. When playing softball in high school, I played third base and the outfield. My junior year while at Dakota the school began a women's golf team which was an incredible experience to be a part of by helping build a team and a program. My senior year I was captain of the team leading them into the postseason.                                                                       

The female athlete I would like to see compete is Abby Wambach. I have never been a huge soccer fan but I became a fan of hers when I saw the Japan vs. USA world cup game last year. It was her leadership and determination I saw on the field while watching the game that I became a fan of more than anything else despite the unfortunate loss for the US. I was excited to see her play at the summer Olympics where she led the team to winning the gold medal. She is a role model for female athletes young or old. She has contributed to giving women’s soccer a name here in the United States. I would like to see her leadership on and off the field, her determination, and her amazing head shots to lead the team to victory. Tim Tebow is the male athlete I would like to see compete. I became a HUGE Tim Tebow fan a few years ago before the Tebow mania took over. I take quite a bit of criticism for being a fan but I refuse to let it stop me. His leadership on and off the field is inspiring. Besides being a quality quarterback now with the New York Jets, he inspires me by the way he gives back to others of all ages and has never lost his faith in God despite constant criticism. I would love to see him compete on the field to see his leadership and his “never give up” attitude firsthand.                                        
Currently, I do not have any concerns for this class. I feel the workload and expectations are fair and attainable. I am hoping more of my classmates decide to do a blog because I am looking forward to reading others opinions and thoughts about we learn throughout the semester. I am specifically interested in learning how females how impacted the sport industry up until this point because they have helped pave the way for me into choosing a career in the sport industry. I am excited to learn about the topics that will be presented in the class and expand my knowledge in sports that will benefit me into my future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea,
    I did not see your entry before I sent an email message to the class. Anyway, I will comment more on each of your blog entries. Thanks for sharing this introduction!
    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsea,

    I meant to send a lengthier response to your first blog entry. It was interesting to read about the athletes you would most like to see. I can understand why you would be interested in seeing both of them. Like you I followed Abby Wambach in the World Cup game against Japan (also her header was pretty amazing in the previous game against Brazil). I agree that she offers tremendous leadership and inspiration to the younger players. They are an exciting team to watch. As for Tim Tebow, it is interesting to see how polarizing he seems to be. People either seem to love him (Skip Bayless comes to mind) or not love him so much (Stephen A. Smith may fit that category). Why do you think that is? I know you said that you have taken a lot of criticism for liking Tebow. I found myself wanting to see how he would do in the Jets' last preseason game. Their season will be interesting to follow with Tebow and Sanchez on the team.

    This is a nice Introduction and I look forward to reading more of your blog entries.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete