Monday, December 3, 2012

Conclusion Ryan Viselli


As the class comes to an end, I have thoroughly enjoyed the class and in class discussions that took place.  I’ve learned a lot about not only gender in sports but also the sociology in sports and how it affects our society.  There were many examples and visuals shown throughout the class that explained the topics we were learning during in each discussion.  I thought it was very helpful and help me engage in the class.
     Something that was new to me in a classroom was writing a blog.  I have never written a blog before and I thought it was an interesting method of communicating with one another.  There were many topics and discussions that translated to class discussions, which I though was great interaction between students and Dr. Spencer.  There were also many group assignments that allowed people to voice their opinions.  This class provided a lot of interaction, which made me, stay focus through each class.
     There were many different topics and discussions that I was interested in and learned a lot from.  The most interesting topic for me was the business side of sports and how athletes are involved with endorsing products.  Learning about how Michael Jordan not only became the biggest star in the NBA but also a marketing genius.  He opened the door for today’s athletes and has allowed them to market products and not only expand their brand but also their own.  It showed that athletes aren’t just athletes, they are versatile in society. We put so much focus on them because society puts so much importance on sports and athletes are the people society wants to see. 
    I am really happy I took this class and now can look at sports from a different perspective.  I can understand the differences between genders from a female perspective and how they feel.  I know that the knowledge I’ve learned from this course I will use in the future whether it’s my job or talking about sports to others.  It will help me have an unbiased opinion when discussing different topics and appreciate different opinions when talking about sports.      

2 comments:

  1. Just to echo what Ryan wrote about, this was a very fun and fulfilling class. Dr. Spencer is always an engaging professor and I am glad that she encouraged Ryan and I to participate daily. With so many issues to discuss about all the topics and sports we attempted to cover in class, many were left out and I believe this is a class that could go on for weeks and weeks longer without hitting a lot of important topics. Nonetheless, everything we covered in class, whether I was aware of the issue or not, was interesting to discuss and hear what other people had to say on the matter. I, too, agree that the Michael Jordan discussions were among the most interesting because of the huge impact Jordan had on the entire world of sport culture. Lastly, the main thing I took from the class that I don't think I fully understood beforehand is the difference between sex and gender. While sex may define a person biologically, gender is entirely different as it pertains to roles we are expected to or chose to fulfill in society. Gender can be defined in many different ways due to the fluidity and constant change of these roles. In the end, it is something I will be more aware of when examining sport and ethics.

    - Marc Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc and Ryan,

    I'm glad you both took the class too, and that you were willing to be my "go-to" guys when it came to talking about hockey! I am so glad that you mentioned that you could now see the difference between sex and gender, Marc. In fact, I am probably going to use your quote (anonymously) next semester to demonstrate how they differ!

    Great job!
    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete