Monday, December 3, 2012

Conclusion - Joey Durant

Being part of this Sport and Gender class has made me aware of some aspects of sport that I never considered as an influential factor. The most eye-opening thing that sticks out to me from our class is the lack of homosexual athletes and support for them in different sports. Throughout our discussions in class we found it extremely difficult to identify many of these athletes, and most of the support was more of the "it doesn't matter" ideology rather than actual support for homosexual athletes. It is amazing that this hasn't seen much overwhelming support for change in any major sport industry. 

My favorite part of the class was being able to debate and discuss certain topics that I wouldn't normally get the chance to do. I don't get the chance to debate race or sex in sports with more than one or two people on a regular basis, so it was really interesting to get a wide range of views on these different topics. I also really liked learning about the influence Michael Jordan had on sport marketing because it is an area I would like to get in once I graduate. Jordan essentially created a new segment of sport management and created jobs by being the marketable face that he was.

Overall, this class was definitely enjoyable and I feel like a lot of the information that was taught will be useful to me in my pursuit for a job in sport marketing. I have a much better understand of the struggle that has happened for women and different ethnicities in sport, and can see how it will help me make changes in my views to create a better marketing environment in the future. Thanks for the great semester Professor Spencer and Kara!

1 comment: