Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Title IX in a Nutshell: Where to Look for Problems Entry #4

In class Thursday, I know I was a little quiet that day, (: but we talked about the different common ways to organize Title IX’s requirements. I know I wasn’t very engaged in the discussion that day, so I decided to write my comments in blog, because I did have a few inputs in the different areas. Most of the areas we talked about were pretty much the same compared to the other sports. There were only a couple areas that I felt were different than the other sports. I know for Track and Field, when it comes to traveling sometimes we will have to get up at 6AM to load the bus, then travel 3 or 4 hours to a meet. The only problem is that some people may not even run until 1PM or 2PM or even after that, which kind of stinks. I don’t know if other sports teams have to do that at BG, but I know for me I would rather have people who have to travel early, leave earlier and have the others travel later, or even have people stay in a hotel. I know the reason is to cut down on costs, but sometimes I feel as though it is too much, but at the same time I understand. I know when we went to the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa; we had to travel all the way there on a bus. I don’t mind traveling at all, because I did a lot of traveling when I was younger, so I’m used to it, but I know others probably would have been much happier flying. My second point was about the equipment and supplies. I know when I was a freshman here at BG; we got the bare minimum when it came to equipment and supplies. A lot of the time we had to purchase equipment and supplies on our own. Starting last year we had to raise money in order to get new equipment, which is starting to work out really well this year. My third point was about the publicity that we get. Track and Field does not get very much publicity. I don’t really know the reason, why it is so, but I do believe that in years that I have been here our team has been VERY small compared to the other MAC schools, so that maybe a reason. Now, that our team is much bigger now, I hope that you all will hear more great news about Track and Field and I hope to see some of you all at a meet this year! (:
Alicia Jefferson

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia,

    You bring up some great points. I think the travel is a key area that could effect your team's performance. I wonder if you traveled at different times if that could diminish the team chemistry. However when going to a prestigious meet like the Drake Relays, it would be nice if you were afforded travel that was more accommodating. Perhaps the fact that there isn't a men's track & field team means that there is not another team to which you are compared. That might work against your team. As for the coverage and promotion, I have found it difficult to locate news about the women's track & field and cross country teams. I agree with you that it would be nice to have more extensive coverage.

    Thanks for sharing your observations and insights.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you see a difference in performace when you travel a far distance and then have to sit around before you actually run, as compared to when you run at home or somewhere closer? I could definitely see how that could be a problem after traveling, and on top of that, having to sit around until your event takes place. As far as the publicity goes, I agree that you guys get the bare minimum. It's my third year here and I have yet to go to a track meet here, partly because I never know when they are because they aren't advertised like the other sports are. I've actually been to track meets elsewhere that were very well advertised, but none at BG. Being a student, and into athletics, I would enjoy going to track meets and watching, so I believe they should be advertised more, and I believe that other students would love to go as well if they knew when they were.

    -Paxin Stern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia,
    I agree with the travel issues. I do believe that travel does affect the traveling team because of the time not only spent traveling, but the waiting around for races. I was exhausted during track races in high school because it would take forever for our races and the majority of the season had cold and rainy weather. The hardest race I ran was the 4x4 1600 meter relay, which was the very last race. I also ran the 400, which was early on; therefore, I would warm up and then cool down and then have to try to warm up again after sitting in the cold and rainy weather for a couple hours. Although collegiate sports are at a higher level, I definitely can understand from participating in the high school level.
    -Casey Daulbaugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia,
    First of all, I will try my best to make it to at least one meet this year! I was a high school track athlete and I felt the same way you do about traveling. In high school, although the travel distance was much shorter, I found myself getting to meets and then waiting two hours or more before I was supposed to run any of my scheduled events. I would have preferred to drive myself or be provided an option of a later bussing time. Also, since we are on the topic of budget cuts, I think BG needs to bring back the varsity men's track team! I would love to have the chance to tryout for it, I miss my track days. Glad to see another track athlete discussing this topic!

    Joey Durant

    ReplyDelete