Monday, September 3, 2012

Alicia Jefferson-Blog Entry #2


In class we talked about whether or not “a female athlete whose body naturally produces unusually high levels of male hormones, allowing them to put in more muscle mass and recover faster, have an ‘unfair’ advantage?” (Findlay, 2012, p. 1). In my opinion, I do not have an issue with a female that produces higher levels of testosterone than me, but at the same I do think it is unfair. I do believe that this type of disorder is something that female athletes have to just cope with. It does seem “unfair” that a female athlete may not be able to compete at the high levels of competiveness as someone else with this disorder, just because they may produce higher levels of male hormones. I believe that this disorder is something that female athletes are just blessed with, speaking in competitive terms and I do believe that these athletes have some type of advantage over other female athletes, but I would not consider it an “unfair” advantage. I do not believe that women should have to undergo surgery and have to remove some of those hormones in order to compete. What I do think is unfair is the negativity that comes towards female athletes that possess a physical advantage over others based on their genetic makeup. Fans will spend hundreds of dollars to be front row and center for a female athlete that are more physically attractive like Skylar Diggins, but down talk athletes like Brittney Griner, just because her voice is deeper than other female athletes. It is unfortunate that female athletes, who may appear more muscular than others, should be criticized by their genetic makeup, when they should be praised by their gifted talents.

4 comments:

  1. I somewhat agree with what you are saying. I feel as though athletes with this 'disorder' cant help the way they where born and they shouldn't be criticized becuase of it. Not everyone is the same, they just so happened to be blessed with 'extra' talent. But at the same time I can see how some people view it as an 'unfair' advantage. I say that because I used to play college basketball and if I where to play againist a player like Brittney Griner I would automatically know she would dominate and feel as though it was unfair just because or her height and her overall physical advantage. but I wouldn't say she should have to undergo surgery just to compete. I feel as though there could be other ways to resolve the 'unfairness'. Like make her play WNBA ball or actually have her be the first female playing with the guys. I dont really know but I dont think they should have to undergo surgery because of thier genetic makeup.

    -Danielle Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alicia,

    I agree and disagree with you on this topic. I don't really feel that it is unfair for females that tend to be strong and everything like a male. I feel that they mostly put the work in throughout their lives to get that strong and to be able to produce a little like males. In male sports there are some that are very weaker and smaller than the rest but they still succeed because of the knowledge and everything of the sport they play. One thing I think is very unfair is for the females that does receive the negativity like Brittney Griner. I always feel sad for her when I hear people talk about her and how she is like a man and not a woman. I don't think there is really anything that we can do to help this situation because man will never want to play in the NBA with woman.

    Khiry Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely on this topic. I believe that females born with higher levels of testerone do have an advantage over others, but I don't believe it's an unfair advantage. I believe an unfair advantage would be taking steroids in order to get these higher levels. They were born with it, so they should be able to compete with it. If females believe that it is "unfair", then it should just push them harder to be able to compete with females like this. I do not think females should ever have to undergo surgery to remove what they were born with, just because people see it as an "unfair" advantage. That is taking it too far. As you said in your post, they should not be criticized for what they were born with, they should be praised by the way that they can compete and the entertainment factor that they give us viewers. We should appreciate what they do, not criticize and give them so much negativity.

    -Paxin Stern

    ReplyDelete