Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Gender Differences in Sport - Aaron Keyer

Gender Differences in Sport
After reading the article about Caster Semenya, I’m not sure what to think about dominant women in professional sport. In a way, I feel as if it is fair and should remain legal for intersex athletes to compete in women’s sport, due to my opinion that an intersex athlete is less likely to completely dominate a female sport than they are to completely fail in a men’s league. On the other hand, if I were female, I wouldn’t like the idea of having to compete against someone with male genetic makeup.
I think this is a very hard situation to define and resolve as it is very easy to see both sides of the argument. In no way is it Caster Semenya’s fault that she has higher levels of testosterone, however in women’s sport that does provide an advantage over the other women which could be seen as unfair. However, Semenya has female DNA as well, and in that regard I feel like it would be even more unfair if she was forced to compete in male competition.
There is no way to really solve this problem fairly with today’s rules. Every league has such strict rules on who can compete and the standards that need to be met in order to compete that there would have to either be separate competitions for intersex athletes or a more outlined, defined rules as to which competitions intersex athletes can compete in.
As seen in the history of sport, some women have broken down the barrier and competed successfully in men’s competitive sport. Michelle Wie and Annika Sorenstam have done it in golf and there have been several women to compete in football. Although there have been women that have had success in men’s sport, I don’t believe it is fair to say that intersex athletes should have to compete in men’s sports.
Either way this is a very hard topic to define and create a set of rules that will be fair to everyone. There is no real right or wrong answer and there is a valid argument on both sides.

7 comments:

  1. I do agree with what you are saying. This is definitely is a hard topic to try and create rules for. I do think it’s unfair to compete against someone who genetically more muscular than, but it is something that female athletes will just have to deal with. I don’t believe women should have to undergo surgery for something that they are born with. It’s not their fault. I know some people think they should have an intersex league, which I think would be bring even more negativity upon the league. I don’t think that league would get the kind of respect that the regular Women’s’ leagues would get. This disorder is just something that is here to stay and female athletes are just going to have to cope with it and hope they don’t have to compete against someone with this disorder. I do agree with you that intersex athletes should not be able to compete in men's sports either.

    Alicia Jefferson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with the fact that Caster was put into a difficult position. She didn't ask to be born like this, and have a competitive advantage. However, I can see where people come in from both sides of this ordeal. Sure, she has an advantage, but she didn't do any performing enhancing drugs to get it. She was born this way. I know what the other female athletes are thinking too though, automatically they assume she shouldn't be able to compete. They have to put themselves in Caster's shoes. How would they feel if they were born intersex, and everyone wanted them to be disqualified? I agree with Aaron with the fact that she would not be able to compete against the men in her sport. Sure, their have been women who have crossed the barrier, but in fields that are more equal. Tennis and Golf give the females the ability to compete, but running in track is a whole different story.

    Patrick McFall

    ReplyDelete
  3. I as well agree that this is a difficult situation for a person to be in. In today’s society it is so hard to get people physically active, so I do feel as though women with this disorder need to have a place where they can compete in their sport. Although people do feel it is unfair, and I can see their side, I feel competing against someone with a disorder like this could make the sport more competitive. It could push females to become better than they were before. It would drive me to want to become the best that I can be. I would want to be at my optimal level so that I could compete against the best in my sport, whether the best is male or female. I also agree that having an intersex league would bring a lot of negative attitudes toward the females.

    Sunny Marchand

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that intersex athletes should not be forced into competing with the male athletes. Although, intersex athletes have higher testosterone levels, which could prove to be an advantage in competing against female athletes, they also have female characterstics that could prove to be a disadvantage in male sports. I almost feel like intersex athletes should have the choice as to whether or not they want to compete with the males, or the females. Since they have characterstics of both, should they be the ones to determine where they better fit? As Sunny mentioned in her comment, this would drive the competitive factor even more than what it is. I too believe that this would push the female athletes to compete more, and to practice and train harder than what they do. I don't believe that an intersex league should be created, but I think it's fair to allow them to be able to chose which league they want to participate in. Either one, it would drive the competitive factor higher than what it is right now.

    -Paxin Stern

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an extremely fine line in todays sporting society. Caster can not be blamed for her body producing these high levels because there is nothing she can do to control it. I don't know what to think as far as where she should be competing. I agree that it would be unfair to put her up against the females for their sake but I also think that it is unfair to Caster to make her compete against the males. However, I don't know if it is ethically ok to create a completely separate division for intersex athletes. I don't see there ever being a clear cut answer to this problem.

    Mike Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. As everyone seems to agree, this is a touchy subject and one that is difficult to come up with a solution for. I especially agree with your thought about if you were a female. I would also feel like it was an unfair advantage if I were a female competing against women with male traits. It is almost like a natural steroid or performance enhancing drug. Since it is naturally occurring, it also doesn't seem fair to punish those athletes for having them. Perhaps until it there is a way to fairly police this, there may just have to be an asterisk in the record book next to female Olympians who are intersex.

    -Marc Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete