Monday, October 8, 2012

Compared to MJ - Joey Durant

After the previous class session, the choice for a blog topic seems pretty obvious: Michael Jordan. Jordan was an iconic figure for the NBA, for sports marketing, and for the companies he would represent throughout his career. He single-handedly revolutionized sport marketing, taking Nike to the top of the athletic footwear world and being the first widely marketed athlete for consumer products. A question that no one addressed in class that I recall was could any previous player, before the major advertising age, have matched the level of greatness that MJ did? Bill Walton, a former NBA champion, was a hard working defensive minded player that may have been ideal for marketing to the blue collar workers of his time. Julius Irving, a high flying finisher around the rim known for a trademark afro hairstyle that could have been a perfect symbol for a rising black rights movement in his time. Even players in Jordan's era, such as Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Patrick Ewing could have had shot at being the iconic face like Jordan if Jordan never existed. Would they have had the same effect that MJ did on the world? What was it about Michael Jordan that allowed him to have such a tremendous impact? Just some food for thought from my own personal ideas that I have when trying to compare other great players to "His Airness". Looking forward to discussing this with everyone!

Joey Durant

5 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting when you brought up Bill Walton as a player that could match the marketability of MJ. Although I agree with you, I feel that society would not. Society is geared more towards offensive greatness and tend to overlook the great defenders in any sport let alone basketball. Bill Walton was a tremendous talent and well deserving of more publicity than he received but I feel that he would always be overlooked because defense was his strong suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey,

    I agree that Michael has done a great job in not only basketball, but in marketing. Nike was a huge economic gain for Jordan and the effect was vice versa. While Nike was gaining great strides due to Jordan's being its famous icon, other companies wanted to jump on the "Jordan" bandwagon as well. If I were a company I would try to obtain Jordan as an icon for my product to help advertise and gain buyers. He helped companies realize that by having a famous player help "sell" their product that maybe other could attempt to use other athletes in the future. This helps the economy for businesses because they are raking in the revenue through who is the "face" of their product.

    -Casey Daulbaugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey,

    I agree with you when you said that Jordan was iconic figure for the NBA, for sports marketing. Before Jordan I really didnt wear Nike as offen as I did Addidas back then, but since Jordan was my favorite player growning up I jumped on that Nike bandwagon. I also agree that Bill Walton was an amazing player and and should have gotten more publicity than he received but I feel that because he was a defensive player thats why he was over looked. Back then, and still today defensive players dont always get the same publicity as offensive players (shooters). I dont think its fair at all but thats how society has always been.

    -Danielle Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides being a more defensive player, Bill Walton had a reputation as a hippie when he played at UCLA, and I think that probably carried over into his early years in the NBA. Add to that his propensity to be injured and I think that also hurt his marketability. I think Dr. J was the first really big marketing phenomenon and he came from the ABA to the NBA.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete